Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Red Light Camera RE: Lone Star Political Page

In my opinion Red Light Cameras are more of a hassle than they are a benefit. First, as you mentioned invasion of privacy, it's not just about a student's parents finding out he was out all hours, it's also about couples possibly getting divorced over the same type of situation. The cameras do not show the person in the car but do show the entire intersection and cars around them. In my opinion this is an invasion of privacy.

What if someone is borrowing your car? Are you now responsible? Most people for red light cameras say yes because you are the registered owner. What If someone borrows your car, gets drunk, kills someone with your car, and the cops show up and arrest him. Would the cops come over to your house and arrest you too? It's your car; You are responsible!

As far as cameras reducing accidents this Blog and News Article beg to differ. I actually have been a victim of a person slamming on their brakes for a yellow light and their wasn't a camera there. It had been raining and I had a three car distance we were moving at 40 MPH on a posted 50 MPH the light turned yellow when she was about 50 feet from the intersection and she slammed on her brakes.  I did the same but that vehicle had no ABS and the brakes locked up. I panicked instead of pumping the brakes and slid right into her. When she was on the phone talking to her husband she stated that she stopped to fast on the yellow. However, I was still at fault and my truck was ruined. Statistics can be manipulated to represent any groups best interests.

As far as insurance goes I have not seen a decrease in my premiums yet. Actually rates in Texas continue to increase. Funny thing is that putting seat belt laws in place was supposed to help insurance premiums as well and how is that working? Granted seat belts do save lives, but why do people get fined $200 for not wearing one? Especially if they have life and health insurance?

These laws are just a way for cities to increase revenue and create another tax on people. If they really cared about safety of their citizens they would allow you to take more than one defensive driving a year (at least without loops and hoops) or your penalty would be to watch a video of what happens when you don't wear seat belts.

You do offer a good argument to the support of cameras and maybe I am just sore because I got a ticket from a camera. I just don't see enough evidence of its benefit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment